Sunday, January 13, 2013

Tea Time at Ophus Abbey

Peanut Butter Rum Cocoa Cookies on Recycling Day

Slightly obsessed with Downton Abbey, I felt like this Sunday needed a tea time, and a treat to boot!
Its been 0 degrees or less outside for days, and somehow it happened that we HAD to go out today. When I say we I mean myself and three boys ages 7 and under. It was plastics recycling weekend in Helena, MT, and this opportunity only comes once every two months, and we skipped last chance. I found myself bundling boys after our early lunch and throwing them into our van, brimming over with old milk jugs, juice containers, and berry cases.

By the time we returned home, everyone was hungry again, and I couldn't feel my fingers. Definitely tea time, and definitely time for treats. I brewed up a pot of huckleberry tea and poured a cup for everyone, adding cream and a smack of honey to the cups for the little boys. I then commenced something yummy for tea time, and randomly threw ingredients in our mixer until these cookies, both childish and grown up, eventuated. 

Peanut Butter Rum Cocoa Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup fancy hot cocoa powder (I used Kitchen TLC hot sipping chocolate)
1 pastured egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

Add softened butter and peanut butter to a mixing bowl with the beater attachment on and cream on medium speed until creamily combined.  (Yes, we love the creamy ;)

Add the two sugars and cream together again. Then add the extracts, egg, baking powder and baking soda, and cocoa and cream together again.(Yes, MORE creamy ;)

Add your flour, mix until combined and then use a disher to put your cookies on a greased cookie sheet (about 9 to a sheet to let them have room) and bake for 7-8 minutes in a 375 degree over. My recipe made 30. An hour ago there were 30. There are 20 now. Oops.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment