Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ham Salad from a Mayonaisse Hater

Healthy and Nourishing Ham Salad

I enjoy a sweet and caramelized ham like any other Montanan, but A few weeks ago, I thought something fowl would be more enticing. 

I spent a week trying to convince my husband before Christmas that a smoked turkey from Tizer Meats in Helena would be a yummy treat and a nice change of pace for our Christmas luncheon before shoving off to visit family. 

He did not enjoy this idea that one would "change pace" for a holiday celebratory meat so central to his childhood memories we even heard the story of why hogs were special from my father in law this Christmas. 

He grew up on a farm outside Big Sandy, Montana and ate a lot of chicken. The hogs they raised were for sale for the neighbors, not for eating by the family. Every now and then though they would butcher a hog for the family, and pork nights were special nights. Come to think of it, ham was always a special for for my farm based family when we visited as well, so it comes to show that this meat will never be replaced. Sorry smoked turkey, maybe another day.

With leftovers we enjoy a quick and delicious ham salad on sourdough bread, absolutely scrumptious and a very easy way to make leftover ham disappear. As a child I hated it though, and I'll tell you why.....Miracle Whip. I grew up disliking it so much that I would scrape it off any pre-made sandwich I would receive. As an adult I discovered, however, that REAL mayonnaise IS NOT Miracle Whip. 

Miracle Whip is sweeter and spicier and introduced during the Great Depression, it was not as expensive as real mayo, so many sprang for it. Funnily enough, I disliked it and now love real, organic mayonaisse. I am convinced organic eggs change the taste to subtlety delicious too. Here is how we make ham salad, and tonight we're eating the last of it on hot garlic foccacia bread.

Organic Ham Salad

2 cups leftover ham, diced and then grated in a food processor
1/2 cup organic mayonnaise
2 heaping tbl organic dijon mustard (the kind out of the squeeze bottle won't be good enough!)
1 large ribs of celery, minced
1/3 of a red onion, diced  
2 heaping tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine items in bowl. Mix, taste, lick spoon and then eat a spoonful just for yourself, hiding it so noone comes after your creation. Its pretty yummilicious.
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment