Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Child Friendly Pulled Pork Nachos

At the end of last week we were again at the end of the groceries. My three little boys no longer eat like three little boys but like two ravenous men, and so after six or seven days, all but my stock of staples are depleted. I decided to try something. I made a full, slow cooked pork roast last month and saved about half a pound of it frozen in a yogurt container. I had beautiful corn tortillas I picked up in bulk from Bountiful Baskets a few weeks ago, frozen. I had some leftover pizza sauce, an unused avocado, spare green onions and half a block of  cheddar cheese. With some ingenuity, we had nachos, and darn good kid friendly ones at that!

Here's what I started with:

8 small corn flour tortillas
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 tsp salt


1/2 pound cooked pulled pork
1/2 cup pizza sauce
3 green onions, chopped
6 ounces cheddar cheese
Cumin, Chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, all to taste

I cut the tortillas into quarters and rubbed them in canola oil, sprinkled them in salt and baked them at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes, watching them closely so they did not burn. While they baked, I added the thawed pork, pulled to pieces and warmed them in a pan with the pizza sauce (my kids do not like the spiciness of enchilada sauce. I added in the green onions and spices until it was not too spicy but flavorful. When the chips were crisps, I piled some on everyone's plate, piled pork on top and shredded cheese and cut slivers of avocado. They were so very yummy! And the only complaint I got was that the avocado had no flavor. I add it anyway as avocados have so many good oils in them. Mashed avocado was one of the first foods I fed my babies when they were six months old!





No comments:

Post a Comment