Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Company Cake"

Here's a super simple, super quick and super delicious recipe for old fashioned cake I received a few weeks ago from my PBS.org feed. We make a little something special when we get visitors and my parents gave us a lovely excuse to make something scrumptious. We've made it before and have found that it does make a difference what kinds of ingredients go in. Margarine is not the same as butter is not the same as "Amish butter", a delicious two pound lump of lovely that's wrapped in wax paper and sole at the Real Food Market and Deli and Van's IGA near Carroll College if you're in the Helena area. Also, pastured (not "pasteurized") eggs with yolks the deep orange color of saffron, taste uniquely different.

In the recipe when it mentions buttermilk, I'm not going to fib, I don't keep buttermilk at home. But I do always have lemon juice on hand, and a quick substitute for buttermilk is adding 1 tsp lemon juice to every cup of milk and it with suffice nicely. Eat this. It is splendid!



Cinnamon Buttermilk Cake,

No comments:

Post a Comment