Wednesday, March 28, 2012


Recipe for Almost Friday: Deep Dish Pepper Pizza and Butter Asparagus


I find myself being very creative for Thursday and Friday and it often inspires some yummy combinations. Tonight was a yummy pizza, all from scratch (even the sauce) and some Bountiful Basket Asparagus sauteed and steamed in butter and lemon juice. Here's how it went:

Step 1: Shake the 20 month old off my leg and Set the focaccia to rise-

In my stand mixer bowl I toss-
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 packet yeast
1/2 tbl garlic powder
Heavey 1/2 tsp of salt
1 tbl dried or fresh herb (tonight was dill)
Start the dough hook and slowly add 3/4 cup wamr water until combined
Drizzle ball with olive oil and set to rise for 30 minutes in a warm place

Step 2: Promise the 4 year old I'll take him on a bike ride and throw the quick pizza sauce in to roast then...
In a pyrex container I drop-
3 tomatoes (cored and quartered)
1 small yellow onion, quatered
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl balsamic vingear
pinch salt
pinch pepper
two cloves garlic, chopped
Dried or fresh basil
I roasted it at 450 degress for about 30 minutes, while the dough is rising.

Step 3: Take three kids and dog on walk during roast and rise.

Step 4: Take the sauce from the oven and put it in the food processor, pulsing until it is a combined sauce-like item. I added a pinch of brown sugar or squirt of honey at this point.

Step 5: Put the focaccia dough in a cast iron pan, flatten it out and add the sauce to the top. I add several slices of provolone and grate the leftover cheddar. I julienne yellow peppers on top of the cheese and bake the pizza at 425 degrees for almost 20 minutes. 

Step 6: I cut a bunch of asparagus in half and toss it in a pan with 1/4 of butter and about 1 tbl fresh lemon juice. I cover the pan and steam the asparagus, occasionally tossing it until tender, about 20 minutes.

It was all delicious, and my kids ate it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment