Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How many food rules does it take to make a crazy lady?

Knock Knock

Who's there?

5 pounds.

5 pounds who? Wait.....what? Go away!

I don't own one, but I know where they live, and they always find me!

I USED TO BE 100 POUNDS heavier than I am right now. A size 20. After my oldest was born around 7 years ago I was 100 pounds heavier, and losing the weight was a long journey and an even longer education in what I am capable of. 

I have a couple, well, maybe more than a couple, food and activity and lifestyles rules I try to follow, although as of late, I have failed (hence the 5 pounds coming knocking.)

Some of these are based off of Michael Pollan's Food Rules, some of them are from other places, but in the interest of disclosure, here they are:

1) Always eat breakfast. If not it'll ruin my metabolism.
2) Always pack my own lunch to work, that way I know what's in it, don't spend money on an unhealthy one, and always eat.
3) Enjoy a family dinner. Sitting at a table is better for so many reasons.
4) When I'm hungry in between meals, I drink water or tea first, then decide if I am really hungry. First impulse to eat usually means I'm dehydrated.
5) We rarely eat out, maybe 2 times a month. Meals are made and eaten at home.
6) No fast food, that means drive throughs-ie McDonalds-We haven't eaten fast food french fries or sandwiches in three years.
7) I don't eat after 6:00 in the evening-my metabolism slows down then and going to bed while still digesting creates for me indigestion.
8) Soda is rare. Almost a never. Water is so much better.
9) We eat alot of probiotics, yogurt, kefir, etc-this helps aid good digestion.
10) I try to be active after dinner, cleaning, climbing stairs, spending time playing with kids, and when its light out walking the dog. 
11) Hot yoga! I do barkan yoga at HOT YOGA HELENA and adore it. This I have slacked on lately as the class I typically go to is at 6 AM and I have needed my sleep lately! 

Well, since I haven't posted in awhile, these are some of my bizarre food thoughts....enjoy ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment