Monday, September 3, 2012

Gringa Green Tomatillo Enchiladas

Trying Something New with Montaxican

I tried these for the first time yesterday, and it was delightful!
Continuing my exploration into new things, this week I received a bag of tomatillos from our CSA. These little green guys look like baby tomatoes but are in fact relatives of the gooseberry. I scoured the internet for ideas, my cookbooks not offering much inspiration. After combing a few sights I decided to experiment in roasting my own green enchilada sauce using these instead of green chiles.

I took inspiration from the tomato sauce I make and for the first time ever, canned last week. I used the lovely green sauce in some enchiladas that I put in our oven on a timer so we could go to Saturday night mass and come home to a fully cooked, delicious meal.

Here's what I tried out:

Gringa Green Enchiladas

Ingredients: * means its local

1 pound tomatillos *
1/2 walla walla onion *
1 jalepeno pepper *
1 bulb garlic *
2 chicken bullion cubes
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon black pepper
 1 tablespoon olive oil

8 eight inch corn tortillas *
1 pound pork sausage *
1/2 cup cooked corn kernals *

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese *
1 slicing tomato *

In an oven safe dish, put your skinned tomatillos, chopped onion, diced pepper, crushed garlic, bullion cubes, cumin, coriander, black pepper and olive oil. Mix it with your hands and then put it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes while it roasts and mixes its flavors.

While your sauce roasts, cook your ground pork sausage in a large skillet until done, and then add the corn when it is almost finished.

When your tomatillos are done roasting, remove from the oven, allow it to sit until its done bubbling and then pop in in your food processor or blender and pulse until creamy and smooth.

In another oven safe dish, fill your tortillas with your pork mixture and a bit of cheese. Roll the tortillas shut and place them seam side down. Fill all your tortillas and when done, cover with your gringa green sauce, then slices of your tomato, then your shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow to cook a few minutes, and then enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment