Monday, June 25, 2012

After Something that Tasted Like Oysters, I had to Have a REAL BURGER

In Search of the Perfect Burger

Once I came up with a cure to my bad burger experience, it was a very good burger indeed!


The Bad Burger: I attended a picnic recently that served prefrozen, smashed down, buy in bulk, Costco burger patties. They came on a sesame seed bun. It sounded like a fine proposition after a long morning outside. I ate one. Bad idea. One bite in, ONE BITE, and it tasted like oysters and paper. Salty oysters from a can and paper with sesame seeds. It was so terrible. I threw it away, and I never throw food away.

The Good Burger: The disappointment of a bad burger meant I had to cleanse my pallet with a good one, and that did not begin with a stop through a drive through. It began at the farmer's market Saturday morning. I stopped by the meat truck, Montana City Meats, and asked if they had any bison patties.

I love a good cow, but I really love a good bison. The meat is extraordinary and the bison from Montana City Meats is locally raised, beautiful bison.  It is not for the cheap, however, and as I had not made burgers in a year (yes, a year) I bought a package of three pounds of premade patties. They were pricey, but I was excited. 

I let them thaw and then we grilled them outside on our propane grill until they were medium rare. I toasted sourdough buns on the grill and added a slice of raw milk cheddar from the Lifeline dairy on top of each burger. I added red onion and lettuce to each burger when they were complete and voila, a pretty darn good burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment